Download for Network EducationWare
INSTALLING NEW4.4.4 on x86 LINUX SYSTEMS
NOTE: your Linux system must have a working version of
X-Windows, Unzip, and Sun Java 1.4 or later. Please note that
currently GNU Java does not work with the NEW Linux client.
1. use your browser to download
http://netlab.gmu.edu/NEW/downloads/NEWC040404L.bin to a
temporary directory. This is a small program that downloads x86
Linux NEW. It can run in any directory.
2. if you are not logged in as root, 'su' to gainroot privileges
for the install then cd to your temporary directory and type this
(assuming >> is the Linux prompt):
>> chmod +x NEWC040404L.bin
3. This will create directory /usr/local/NEW, download
(the NEW Master Client), unzip it and execute it. The
Master Client will run a script that causes it to download
all of the NEW client tools and supporting software. The
system is structured such that software upgrades require
downloading only the components that change. During this
process, the floor control will shut down because it is
unable to make a connection server. This is not a bug in
4. The first test for your NEW client is to play a
recording (which is a little out of date; it describes
only the Windows client). To play, type:
>> cd /usr/local/NEW
>> ./TLMC PLAY-STANDALONE.nwc
5. Select "WelcomeToNEW" in the dropdown menu, and
click the play button. The recording should play.
6. Open the webpage http://netlab.gmu.edu/NEW/demoPortal.shtml.
Enter 'guest1' for both the username and the pasword and select
DEMO from the conference menu. Log on and choose the "test your
connection" option; then click on 'CONNECT LIVE'. The browser
will ask if you want to open the downloaded file or save it to
disk. Open the file using /usr/local/NEW/TLMC and check the
'Do this automatically for files like this from now on' box.
7. If you have problems please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
* does not work with GNU Java (workaround: download Java 1.4 JVM
or later from Sun Microsystems)
* works with browser Firefox 1.0 or later; does not work with
older Mozilla browsers.